The Dragon Slayer - Part 1



For this next design I'm using a flat sided glass flask. I mix up about 5 oz. of a brownish clay and then shape the dragon and cut out his wings.


Adding veins. Using the upholstery needle I give the wings some texture. Next I use my rubber tipped clay shaper to make them look a bit folded.


Testing the fit - perfect!


And now for the scales - the really, really tiny scales. I cut each one, roll it round between my fingertip and thumb, press it onto the dragon making it flatter and finally give it a little impression at the top… talk about tedious, but the fine details are what makes this a fun design.


All covered in scales.


Now for his face - tiny horns, and eyes - even some little eye lashes!


All finished.


Shaping the shield. I stamp the surface with two different size jelly roll stamps for a smokey look.


The dragon's in place.


Making the rim.


The finished shield.


Detail.


Next I begin on the horse - legs are going everywhere, but I finally get him together!


Here's the finished horse - feathers and all. Next I begin on the knight. Shaping his helmet sure is hard but after about a dozen tries I get it right - it can only get easier!


Here I've made a tiny shield for my knight.


Next I make the horse's tack and put the knight in place , arming him with spear and shield.


Now it's time to work on the bottle. I begin with a layer of clay covering the surface and then sculpt the door and windows of the dragon lair.


Here I've put scales on the dragon's tail and added a vine and leafless tree - probably was scorched by the dragon's fire ;).


The front detail is almost finished - next I'll start on the back…

See part 2 of this project here.

Share this post

1 comment: